Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Note from Mark

I'm not OK. (Ed. - Mark's GPS Spots always come through with the phrase 'I'm OK, Come join me on the Trail, Mark) I have what the doctor in Marion, VA called an over use injury in my left quadriceps. Gee I wonder how that happened we only hiked over 500 miles. Bob and I left Damascus VA on Tuesday May 12 to try and get 50 miles in before the Trailfest Festival in Damascus. On Wednesday I developed a sharp pain in my left leg while hiking over Whitetop Mountain about 25 miles north of Damascus. We met some folks that had a car parked near Mount Rogers and they took us into Marion, VA. I went to the hospital on Thursday morning and the doctor said to rest for a few days, take Ibuprofen, and take it easy. On Friday we got
a ride back to Damascus for Traildays. Mark Barker and Mel Herrmann came down Friday night and stayed through Saturday for the Festival. They took us back on the trail Saturday afternoon where we got off the previous Wednesday. We did 5 miles on Saturday, 16 on Sunday, and 10 on Monday. Everything seemed to be OK. The plan for yesterday was for 17 miles. After 10 miles I got a sharp shooting pain in my leg again. We were at the Mount Rogers NRA Visitor Center. I decided that I needed to come home and see my doctor and get more rest. I got a shuttle ride to Marion where my mom and my daughter Megan picked me up. I hope to get back on the trail in a week or less depending on what my doctor says. Bob is continuing on up the trail without me for now. The Spot contacts will be for Bob. I will rejoin him on the trail when I recover and then after we finish in Maine I'll come back to do the part I missed in VA.
-Mark "Red Shoes" Wray

No comments:

Post a Comment