Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day 46 (Full Report) - Bob Going Solo

Tuesday, 5/19 - (At Trimpi Shelter) - Got up at 6:00 - very chilly, 34 degrees, clear skies overhead, with a light breeze. Some fellow hikers said they saw frost along the trail, so it probably got below freezing in a few spots. On the trail at 6:30, moving really well on excellent trail, heading towards the Mt. Roger's Visitors' Center on Rt 16. Mark spotted a solo deer on the way - unlike most, this one stayed still and watched us walk by from about 20 yards, as opposed to crashing off through the brush as all the rest that we have seen thus far. We descended from about 3200 to 2400 feet, and "summertime" was quite evident as we descended. The only exception being the rhododendron thickets, which hold the cold very tenaciously. Got to Partnership Shelter (roughly 10 miles in), and it was as impressive as stated, with two decks, stairs to the second level, a propane-fired shower, a laundry tub out back, and a modern style latrine nearby. Pretty much the Rolls Royce of A.T. shelters. 200 yards later was the Mt. Roger's Visitors' Center, and we stopped for a break, and to check out the various displays inside. While we were there, a shuttle arrived from Marion and took about 8 hikers in. [Though we didn't know it yet, this shuttle would play an important role for us later that afternoon.]

Around 11:30, we headed back up, climbing a minor hill behind the Vistor's Center. It was pretty rocky on top, and as we started the descent on the opposite side Mark stopped and said that his quad problem had returned and that he couldn't continue. We talked about it for a few minutes, and decided to return to the Visitor's Center and see what we could do to get him home. Returning to the peak, I checked the cell phone coverage (2-3 bars, so we called Mark's mom from there since we were unsure of coverage at the Center itself (which is down in a hole somwhat). Mark told his mom that he was coming off the trail, and asked her to come get him, but to wait until he called back. We returned to the Visitor's Center, and found we could (barely) get a signal if we stood on a tall rock in front of the entrance. So Mark talked to his mom and daughter Megan a few times, plus we learned that he could take the shuttle back to Marion when it returned, and so he arranged for them to come down to Marion to pick him up. An emotional half hour, for sure - and very lucky we were here and not way back in the bush, 10 miles from the nearest road.

After that was arranged, Mark asked what I wanted to carry, and I took the GPS Spot, the crank radio, the maps, and the A.T. Companion guidebook. We also agreed that if I made it to Adkins by 6:30 or 7:00, that he, his mom, and daughter would meet me for dinner. I ate a quick lunch and hit the bathroom, then filled both canteens, said my goodbyes, and walked away. Mark turned and went back into the Vistor's Center to get a book (likely to be a long wait), and so we avoided watching each other walk out of sight (which is supposed to be bad luck). Is it unmanly to admit that I cried as I walked away? Hard to describe my emotions, but dismay and apprehension were prominent - aside from losing my hiking partner and friend, I had to give myself a stern lecture on not getting stupid - it's just me now, with very little safety net (especially when I'm off-trail) in an unforgiving environment. As I say to the Scouts, Mother Nature is not a liberal, and doesn't tolerate idiots. Climbed back over the hill, and did 7 miles to the Chatfield Shelter in 2 hours and 45 minutes, still running on adrenaline and emotion. As it turned out, the trail got very bad along the way, very nasty and rocky, so Mark fortuitously made the right call on that one. Upon reaching the shelter and removing my pack, I was actually light-headed - so I forced myself to take 20 minutes to calm down. A lot of water and a candy bar helped.

Continuing on, the trail improved dramatically, even crossing open fields for long stretches, with the trail mowed by a tractor, even up and down the switchbacks. Made Adkins (Rt. 11) just before 6:00, and laid out the Spot. The Relax Inn was just to my left, while the Exxon Mini-Mart (suggested resupply point) was just to my right. Journey and Cas walked by on their way to dinner, and so I filled them in on what had happened to Mark. I then called Megan Wray - they were still about 20-30 minutes away from Marion, so I checked into the Inn (unfortunately getting a room in the smoker's wing - nothing else was available), and quickly laid out my clean clothes. Mark called just as I was heading into the shower (using Megan's phone), so they headed on over. I grabbed a *very* hot shower, which dramatically helped my overall mood (and odor), and got out just as they arrived. So I got dressed and walked outside, just in time to see Criqui, who was looking a lot better after his medical treatment in Marion. Criqui had already eaten, so we headed up to "The Barn" restaurant, the same that Journay and Cas had been walking to. At least 10 other hikers were having dinner when we walked in, and many offered their sympathies to Mark (none, however, offered any sympathy to me!) The Barn was a nice place, and we enjoyed a good dinner together.

Once we were finished, Mark said his farewells all around, and we headed over to the Exxon for gas (and supplies for me). The Wrays took off, but I stuck around for another half hour to check email ($5 for 30 minutes, max time allowed). Basically I let Pete, Pauline, and several others that I was solo now. Criqui also came by and I loaned him $20 for supplies and beer (which he repaid as soon as we returned to the hotel). Back at my room, I quickly got my laundry together and did a load - lucky I didn't delay, because there was soon a waiting list for the machines. Returned to my room to sort my food and other stuff, and also checked the Weather Channel - excellent weather through Sunday, so a good chance for me to put some miles behind me. Once I got the clothes dried, I sorted them as well, then hit the rack. All told, 22 miles today, plus 1 more for the up and back with Mark. Another long day tomorrow, but at least the weather looks ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment