Friday, May 15, 2009

Day 41 - Still off the Trail, but Good News!

Thursday, May 14th - Got up at 6:45, and drafted up a list of things that I wanted Marco to send with Mark Barker if possible. We grabbed the Continental Breakfast in the hotel lobby at 7:30. Beautiful day - blue skies, warm - it figures, hmmmm?

At 8:15 Mark headed off to the hospital while I headed over to the Magnusson Hotel to do some blog reports. Sent my list to Marco, then did two blog reports - had to do the second one (for 5/13) twice, because it vanished into thin air just as I was finishing it up. Arrrgh! Mark returned around 10:30 - GOOD NEWS! - the pain is only an "overuse" issue, and the doctor at the hospital recommended some Icy/Hot treatments, ibuprofen, and 3 - 4 days of rest. The latter we're getting anyway.... Unfortunately Mark bought Advil PM instead of Advil, so we'll have to go back to the pharmacy to trade that in - sleepwalking on the A.T. is not recommended! Mark read his email, let folks know the news, and we also noted the local controversy about Goshen being selected for the National Jamboree (big news here in southwestern Virginia, even though it's about a hundred miles from Marion). At 11:00, Mark returned to the hotel, while I finished up some blog reports. We're off to lunch in a few. Bottom line, looks like we're off the trail for 4 days, but then we can continue.

Returned to the hotel just after noon, and had a message from Nat and Bill regarding dinner. I returned a voicemail confirming 8:00 pm at Mi Puerta, or any other place of their choice if they preferred. Mark and I then hit the Pizza Hut lunch buffet, taking our time, then returned to Walgreens to exchange Mark's Advil PM for regular Advil. He also picked up a jar of "Blue EMU," another topical joint and muscle treatment which has been recommended to us by several hikers. We decided against picking up any additional food or supplies, since we'll still likely make Troutdale within 2 days of returning to the trail, and will also likely receive various free food items at Trail Days tomorrow and Saturday.

Back at the hotel, I hand washed yesterday's hiking clothing, then laid them in the sun outside, on a bush. Also watched a bit of "Death Wish" (the original), but didn't get too wrapped up in it. Instead, I headed back over to the Magnusson to type up some additional blog reports for 5/9 and 5/10. Got a return call from Nat around 5:30 confirming that they were off the trail, and would meet us at the hotel at 8:00 pm. I continued typing until roughly 6:30 or so, then headed back across the street. Pulled in my laundry and made a few phone calls, including a long one to my brother Tom, filling him in on why we wouldn't be on the trail for a few days, and to find out how he was doing now that he was back to work again (he sounds absolutely thrilled; uh huh....) Hung out til 8:05, when Nat and Bill showed up. They were still OK with Mi Puerta, so we drove down (one block), and had a very enjoyable dinner and chat, running til about 9:20 or so. They agreed to pick us up at 8:00 am tomorrow morning and take us to Damascus, where we'll eventually link up with Mark Barker and Mel Hermann sometime late afternoon or evening. These guys have truly been a life-saver for us - as I said yesterday, "real" Trail Magic, far more helpful than food and drinks, and just when we needed it most. Mark and I have really benefitted from a number of fortuitous Trail Magics, none more so than these past 30 hours or so. We walked back, Mark to the hotel and me back to the Magnusson to check my email (no new emails) and finish this report (now about 10:00 pm). We'll both mostly pack up tonight so we're ready tomorrow, and will have time to hit the Continental breakfast again. I am hoping that Marco can link up with Mark Barker tonight, and relay my stuff to him before he leaves. If not, not a crisis - I can have him mail it to me up the trail, probably at Adkins (our next stop after Troutdale, I think....)

Mark's leg is feeling much better, hopefully a recovery that will last. Three more days of no hiking and hotel stays will doubtless make a big difference. That's it for tonight.
- Bob

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bob, Its Matt Gough, I need to know when youll be hiking through vermont so I can plan to meet you out there. Do you have a rough time of when youll be pasing through? May the force be with you.

    ReplyDelete