Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day 46 - Going it Alone

Tuesday, May 19th -8:52pm -Quick update - Mark's quad problem returned this afternoon on the trail, seriously, and he's taking at least a week off to see if he can get it healed up. His mom and daughter picked him up in Marion this afternoon. So I'm soloing right now. Did 10 or so with Mark, then another 12 on my own. Also 1 additional mile up and back from the point where Mark said he couldn't go any further. So 23 total today for me, my highest yet. Obviously we're both pretty bummed, but what can you do? I wasn't willing to return to Arlington, because a week might not do it for Mark, and in fact his doctor may say he's done. Plus I am not sure that I'd return at all if I had a week or two of creature comforts. Right now I'm focused on the trail, and I need to keep it that way.

I'm at Adkins, VA (Mile 539) right now, so will pass the one fourth point of the Trail tomorrow sometime. I expect to be in Bland, VA (ca. 45 miles from here) either very late Thursday or early Friday. That may be optimistic, but without Mark I'm likely to hike 12 hours a day. Most of the other Through-hikers I know are either well ahead or well behind me right now, and a LOT of people dropped out in Damascus after Trail Days, so it's gonna be lonely for awhile. We'll see if I'm as tough (or stubborn) as I think.

I am limited to 30 minutes on this computer, so no further blog reports til I get to Bland, which will also be my next chance to check email. Pauline or Rick - please let whoever needs to know, know what's going on. Anyone - If you're going to the District Dinner, please give my
regards to all, and let them know I'm still plugging away down here.

Out of time, so gotta run.
- Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment