Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 52 - A Day of Rest, and Mark Returns

Monday, May 25th (Memorial Day) - Up at 6:00, grabbed another shower, and headed back to the Dairy Queen for breakfast. Got back at 7:00 and immediately started typing up blog reports again, sending several off to Pete as soon as I had them done. Got a call from Mark around 10:40 or so - turned out they were already in the parking lot! So he and Brenda made pretty good time from Arlington. I spent a few more minutes finishing up a report, and we headed back to their car. Once we got Mark's stuff (and my new Therm-a-Rest) up to the room, and gave Brenda my old Therm-a-Rest and a few more minor items, she took off (didn't even want lunch); probably a good decision at the end of a holiday weekend with heavy thunderstorms expected.

Mark and I reviewed our trail plans, and decided to take 5 days to our next stop (about 70 miles up the trail). After inventorying our food, we headed over to Hardee's for lunch. Back at the room, we made our respective grocery lists and headed across the street to the Food Lion for resupply. We also checked out a Chinese restaurant nearby, and we'll probably hit it for dinner later tonight. I also briefly checked a Goodwill store for another T-Shirt (one of mine is dying), but all they had was cotton, so I passed. Something for the next CARE package from Marco, I guess, or maybe I'll wait til I get to Northern Virginia and take a couple of days off at home.

Dropped my groceries back at the room, and headed down for another set of blog reports, bringing me up to today (finally caught up!), which should please Pete and the various "followers." Back at the room, Mark was napping, so I semi-quietly sorted all the groceries, then did some laundry in the sink and hung it out on the rail (under cover, outside our room) to dry. Moderately threatening weather, but no rain yet. Appear to be quite a lot of hikers coming into the hotel, including some familiar faces; guess the fast-hikers among the Damascus crowd is starting to catch us. Finally got some rain showers, some heavy.

Mark eventually roused and we watched the last of Star Wars Episode V, then headed to the Chinese restaurant for dinner, dodging the raindrops on the way (we ate the buffet - decent). Back at the hotel, we chatted briefly with the Birds group, then with One Step when he came in (suffering from a lot of blisters, and still has to see the dentist (tomorrow, he says)). Mark repacked his pack, while I did one last blog report. Then I re-packed as well. We're planning on doing a short (7 mile) hike tomorrow, maybe 12 - 15 miles on Wednesday, to get Mark back into the groove slowly. Hopefully my own leg issues will appreciate the break too!

No comments:

Post a Comment