Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 48 - Pounding out the miles into Bland

Thursday, May 21st - (At Chestnut Knob Shelter) - Up at 5:40, windy and chilly, thin overcast but fading away as the sun rose. Ate breakfast in the shelter, and we all discussed who was doing what - Rocket was planning on a 33 mile day, to which I can only say "Ouch." Holdout and Big Tuna were also planning on going past Bland (to a shelter about 2 1/2 miles past the town), but were keeping their options open. I was thinking about stopping short of Bland, at Jenkins Shelter, and nero-ing in the next day, or going all the way if I could hack it with my leg.

On my way at 6:30, the first one out. Early on I had a few more sessions of that May Fly hatch, which I enjoyed. Saw a bunch of deer today, at least 7 in 4 different groups or solos. Also passed 3 southbounders, one solo and one duo, who had started at Harper's Ferry and were planning to flip-flop once they got to Springer. Also passed a trail building Crew, about 12 people, who were planning on spending the entire weekend renovating trail; I had already passed some of their handiwork earlier in the day. Of course, I expressed my appreciation to them as they passed. Having done similar work on numerous occasions in my life, I have a better appreciation than most for what it takes. And seeing them also explains why so much of Virginia's trails are in such good shape. Most of the trail today was decent, no really brutal climbs or descents, and not too rocky (for which my leg was grateful).

Got to the Jenkins Shelter and signed in, grabbed some water, and chatted with 4 hikers there. One of the things I'm noticing now is that I don't really know anyone anymore; most of the folks I know are either well ahead or well behind me now. Decided I still had a lot left in the tank, so I continued on; nice day, but with slowly increasing cloudiness. Water is clearly an issue, and many hikers are running themselves dry - I had at least 8 liters today, maybe 10 or 11 (you lose count after awhile). Passed two Trail Magics today as I climbed over the last mountain towards Bland - a Methodist Church group had laid out a cooler at the start of the climb with a bunch of Powerade type lime flavored drinks (I passed on that, having just drank a liter of water), and someone else laid out a bunch of gallon jugs of water at the end of the climb, in memory of a would be through-hiker from Lakewood, Florida, who had died 3 days before starting his trek (in 2003); that one I took advantage of.

Finally reached Rt. 52 and laid out the Spot, then read up on Bland in the Companion. Called the Big Walker Hotel and reserved a room; they didn't have a shuttle available at that time, so after the Spot was done I hitched in - took about 25 minutes because there was little traffic; most people going to Bland use the Interstate (I-77). But finally "Mike" came by in a nice pickup truck and got me to the hotel. Unfortunately he had some transmission fluid in the bed of his truck, which got on the clothes hanging on my pack. And (of course!) the nearest laundromat is 12 miles from Bland, so this will have to be a job in the sink.

Grabbed another blazing hot shower, went to Dairy Queen for dinner, and made some phone calls and text messages. Talked to Mark and he said he would come back down on Memorial Day Monday - his doc said a week off and a better anti-inflammatory (800 mgs Naproxen) should do the trick. I'm very pleased with this news! He'll start about 20 miles ahead of me, so he can start with short hikes and let me catch him. Sounds like a plan.

Back at the hotel, cleaned my stained clothes as best as I could, and laid them out. Then made a few more phone calls, and ended the day transcribing blog reports for typing up tomorrow. Right leg barking but rest (and some ice) is helping. Tomorrow will be a busy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment