Friday, April 10, 2009

Day 6 - Spring Returns at Tray Mountain


April 9th, 5:16PM EDT - "Hey! It's Thursday the 9th at about 5 in the afternoon. I'm sitting in a place called Tray Mountain Shelter (elev. 4200'). Beautiful day down here, about 70 degrees, maybe 80. We did about 10 miles today, but we are about shot, so we're going to camp here.

The connection here is very weak, so I don't think I'm going to try to download my various blog entries from my digital recorder. (Ed. - OMG! He's storing these 'blog' entries up ... I'm going to be transcribing for days when he finds a good signal!) Just wanted to let you know that we are ok. Tomorrow we are actually hiking to a road crossing and taking a shuttle into Hiawassee, Georgia (Ed. - mile 66.8 on the trail, town is 11 miles from the crossing). There we will be staying in a hotel tomorrow night which, fortuitously, happens to be a night with heavy thunderstorms predicted for the northeast Georgia mountains. This is the way we're doing things - every few days get off the trail, resupply, stay in a hostel or hotel or cabin like the other night (Ed. - and hopefully take a shower ...).

So far we seem to be doing ok. We've done about 60 miles in 6 days, so we're right on a ten mile a day pace, although it's been up and down - yesterday we did 15, today we did 10. I will have more later on, but with the weak signal I'm going to stop here."

No comments:

Post a Comment